The village of Sandend was established as early as the 1600’s.
In the early days the fishermen would have pulled their small open-decked boats onto the beach. The harbour was built in the 1800’s.
The houses adjacent to the harbour also date from the 1800’s.
During the herring boom years from 1815 to c1900 the harbour would have been busy, however due to the introduction of the much bigger steam drifters the fishermen had to move to the much bigger harbours of Cullen, Portsoy, Buckie, or Macduff.
The harbour is currently category ‘C’ listed by Historic Scotland.